You can watch the movie now at film festivals around the country, and in the Fall of 2014 on select PBS stations.
THE STURGEON QUEENS tells the story of four generations of the Russ family – and how they took their business from a tiny storefront stocked with herring barrels to the famed smoked fish emporium it is today. Created by Julie Cohen, the director of The Jews of New York on PBS, the documentary features an extensive interview with two of the original daughters for whom the store was named, now 92 and 100 years old. Other main characters include Niki Russ Federman and Josh Russ Tupper, the 4th generation family members who own and operate the shop today; Mark Russ Federman, who owned the shop from the 70′s to 2008; Herman Vargas, the Dominican immigrant, now a Russ & Daughters manager, who has worked in the store more than 30 years. The film also features interviews with longtime customers Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Mario Batali, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Morley Safer, and Calvin Trillin. The “narrators” are a group of colorful Russ & Daughters enthusiasts in their 70s, 80s, and 90s who sit around a table of fish reading the script in the style of a Passover Seder.
Upcoming screenings (please contact each film festival directly to purchase tickets):
- San Diego Jewish Film Festival: February 6, 7, and 8
- Washington DC Jewish Film Festival: March 2 (brunch event), Rockville, MD March 3
- Boulder Jewish Film Festival: March 9
- Houston JFF: March 14
- Desert Film Society, Palm Springs: March 15
- Pittsburgh JFF: March 30
- New Jersey Jewish Film Festival: March 30
- Palm Beach “Best of the Fest” (Winner: best documentary): March date TBD
- Austin JFF: April 3
- Jacob Burns Center, Westchester County, NY: April 10 (closing night event for Westchester County Jewish Film Fest)
- Rockland County Jewish Film Fest: Late April date TBD
- Leonard Marwil Jewish Film Fest (Detroit): May 1 (Patrons’ Night main event). Also screening in Ann Arbor: May 4 and Flint: May 8
- National Center for Jewish Film (Brandeis University): early May date TBD
- Manhattan JCC, CineMatters Series: May 20
- Witchita, Kansas, Mid Kansas Jewish Federation: Summer date TBD
- Kingston, NY, (theater TBA): September 16
- Boston Jewish Film Festival: November date TBD
- The Jerusalem International Jewish Film Fest: Winter date TBD
- Phoenix Jewish Film Festival: February 2015
WNET/13, WLIW/21, and NJTV will be broadcasting The Sturgeon Queens in the Fall. Exact dates and other PBS broadcasts will be listed in the coming months.
For more information about the movie, please visit the filmmaker’s website: www.thesturgeonqueens.com.
We’ll update www.russanddaughters.com with information as we receive it too.