The New York Times visited a few of the city’s remaining neon sign makers in the wake of many businesses today turning instead to LED or back-lit plastic. The Times ran a great photo, of the Russ & Daughters’ sign and storefront. See it above.
In the article, Christopher Gray writes,
“The sign for the Russ & Daughters store, at 179 East Houston Street, was designed in 1951 by an unknown firm. Its green and red lettering is set in stainless steel channels, flanked by two multicolored fish representing the store’s wares. The store’s founder, Joel Russ, named his business to include his daughters, although his eldest was barely 4 when he started up in 1914.”
- Jen Snow