As we prepare for tonight’s Tenement Tours, it seemed natural to start thinking about this building — 179 East Houston Street — that has housed Russ & Daughters since 1920, when Joel Russ moved his business around the corner (from its first storefront location on Orchard Street). Above, a photo reprinted from Subways of New York, a book by Oscar Israelowitz and Brian Merlis.
“Looking west along East Houston Street toward Allen Street. The Second Avenue El is on the next corner. This Lower East Side view shows immigrants selling their wares from pushcarts. The shop on the extreme left, near the overhead lamp, is No. 179 East Houston Street. That is J. Russ National Appetizing Store. That shop has been expanded at that location and is today’s Russ & Daughters, a culinary landmark since 1914.”
- Jen Snow